Ahh the flight. 'The flights', to be more specific. I woke up this morning at 1:30 am after a 12:15 am bedtime. We drove to the airport, I slept on the way.
Oh oh, ok so the exciting part of the morning? I'm wearing my brand new pair of boots!!! I know that doesn't sound too exciting, but I sorta fell in love with them. The last shoes I fell in love with were my pink sparkly jelly shoes in second grade. And now..after all this time..my feminine delight in shoes is back :D It is extremely exciting. And the boots are really cute and I will love them forever.
When we got to the airport, dad went to park and Mother, Aly and I went inside to print my boarding passes. It took Aly and I a good fifteen minutes to figure out the right way to scan my passport effectively on the little automated ticket-printer thing. Really though. Mom called like eight times during the process. She was semi-peeved and standing in the ticket line with my check-on bag in what we hoped (but I then found out we weren't completely sure) was the correct terminal for me to catch my flight.
There was a basketball team in the terminal. For some reason, that was significant in my mind at the time. But it was 4am, so...
Our terminal choice turned out to be a fantastically lucky one and after saying goodbye to my lovely family, I got through security flawlessly and continued to catch my flight. The first time I did this, I wasn't really afraid or nervous necessarily, but I'd say hesitant. This time is different. I know what to expect. I've had time to prepare myself mentally. I'm excited for what I know I'll learn.
The first flight was long. I typed up some journals and lists I wrote when I was younger. My computer died insanely fast. When I got to New York, I was hungry. I bought a salad and a Jamba Juice and used the hour to send my last few texts telling people goodbye.
I was sort of amused at myself through the course of this whole day by how easily stressed I became from the bags I was carrying. Haha it really was funny. Even after my checked bag was checked and taken care of, keeping track of my backpack, purse, cell phone and laptop PLUS keeping my hair out of my face proved too much for my fragile demeanor and I broke out in a sweat trying to pay for my food, put my carry on bag in the cruelly small overhead compartment, and move three times to allow family members to sit next to one another through the flight.
The second flight was long too. I wanted to sleep, but wasn't tired, so instead I tried to avoid watching all the other passengers' movies over their seats. I followed about eight different story lines in movies I've never seen before. It was torturous. I couldn't even eavesdrop cause everyone was speaking German. Oh. And I was sitting right in front of the bathroom, so every time somebody had to pee, they walked by me and bumped me from the gentle pull of almost-slumber to completely undeniably wide awake and trying to avoid the two Japenese girls fighting for a U.S. visa on the tv screen to my right.
It really was bad. I wasn't even frustrated by it, it was just pathetic and uncomfortable. I couldn't even use my laptop cause it was dead and the promised outlet between the seats only worked for two-pronged cords. So mean. The electricity was RIGHT THERE! And I KNEW IT! ..But I couldn't use it. Cruelty.
Ingeniously, I had brought a little freshening up bag with me in my carry on . I'd learned of the necessity for this from the pictures taken directly after my last world-crossing adventure. I got off the plane in Munich feeling pretty, smelling good, and wearing some pretty dang snappy boots.
Psalm 144:3
Lord, what are human beings that you care for them, mere mortals that you think of them?
No comments:
Post a Comment