Monday, September 17, 2012

9/16

Sunday. Got to wake up later for breakfast, then church in the lecture hall. It's pretty neat, some local families come to our service because they like the school's ministry and to learn English. Our speaker talked about David and Goliath, I felt bad cause I couldn't keep my eyes open, I was pinching myself and everything! Steph had to kick me a couple times to keep me awake=P

It's really nice having Steph, Lia and Erik here, just to come back to when all the outgoing stuff gets tiring. Realizing that, I've been trying to reach out to the people who are here alone, but everybody's so nice, there isn't anyone who's just being left out of things, which is great.

Names are tough to learn, but we have to keep reminding ourselves that we've only been here a couple days, so we've got time.

During the free time after lunch, there was lots to do, some went to play soccer again, some went into town to buy stuff or grab ice cream, and others took a bike ride to Meersburg, which hosts the oldest castle in Germany, the one after which Walt Disney designed his sleeping beauty castle. Pretty cool stuff. We passed it on our way to the hostel in Uberlingen the first day we were here and it's gorgeous. The countryside is so pretty too! I was surprised to learn that the area is famous for wine even more so than beer!

But I chose to stay in and start this blog and catch up on internet time while everybody else was away. It's tough to find time when the bandwidth isn't so overloaded you can't even pull up Google home! We're learning though..

After free time, we had dinner and then the Sunday evening service, which consisted of worship and more testimonies. There were a lot of tears and some really intense things were shared that have never been shared before. Porn addictions, drug use and selling, weaknesses and abuse. Very eye opening to realize how many people you walk by every day are actually hurting so deeply, and you don't even realize it.

They offer milkshakes and coffee and the like after the night time service for pretty cheap in our little kitchen called "The Honeycomb" and it's open until lock-up at 10:30 (actually, 22:30. SO confusing. It takes me like eight times as long to figure out times..) But I'm still catching up on sleep and I've been trying to get up early to use the internet, so I grabbed a quick-ish shower and went to bed.

Great day overall. Lots of things running through all of our minds as we try to adjust to new faces, new times, a new schedule, and just a new environment entirely. I'm so excited to watch as God continues to soften hearts during the time we have here.

"Then will the eyes of the blind be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped." -Isaiah 35:5

No comments:

Post a Comment