Today was Annelie's day off and she and I have been wanting to go to a cafe nearby called Cafe Hopka, so we invited a couple other girls and walked the mile to the cafe.
I've been trying to eat super healthy and small portions cause the food here is so saturated with butter and fat, but we walked into that front room and saw a window full of cakes and we all quickly gave up our diets for the next hour and a half=P
There were six of us and we each ordered a different kind of cake and then shared, so we had a slice of rhubarb pie, apple pie with meringue, chocolate cream cake, chocolate cake with orange, fruit cheesecake, and cherry pie.
All were very good, probably the chocolate cream was the best, and we ordered some coffee to go with it and sat in a beautiful little courtyard with a goldfish pond and little trees and pretty tables...I might fly all the way to Germany just to have my wedding reception there, cause it's the cutest little place!
It was the epitome of girl time, something I'm usually not fond of for various reasons, but this was so much fun to just talk and laugh and relax together. We all told embarrassing stories (I told the one about vacuuming my cake, for those of you who know it) and got to know each other better.
The total charge for a big slice of nice cake and a caramel machiato in an incredible outdoor atmosphere was 3.50, which puts starbucks into perspective for me.
The weather here has been really nice. There have been a couple days of rain and usually it's light sweatshirt weather, but today made shorts tempting. I'm still surprised at this, because I was subconsciously expecting to have to buy a snow parka as soon as I got off the plane! From what I've been told, the snow doesn't really come until November.
Psalm 126:2
Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, “The LORD has done great things for them.”
Hi Em,
ReplyDeleteAunt Donna and I hope this post finds you happy, healthy and fully in Love with Jesus! At the moment we are in the Amador wine country with friends who also have a Motorhome. The weather has broken records as it is still in the 90's. We had an amazing day on the lake last week. The water was so still and clear you could see the ripples in the sand 25 ft down. We are not too happy about putting the boat away for winter but we know the weather can change quickly.
Last Wednesday we had 13 young adults, most of which are college students but not all. The room was filled with students of all faiths and experiences. We have those who are or we're battling addictions of all kinds, those who have dropped out, fathered children, considered suicide, spent time in prison, getting to Jesus for the first time, ardent catholic, free spirit, and more. God has brought them all together for his Glory! Not pretty, but a good representation of His people. I used a short YouTube from Mark Driscoll on our/your Deepest Desire. Do we sin because we are struggling Christians or do we sin due to our lack of faith and enjoy it? Do we feel happy or miserable after sinning? So, SIN was the theme and it got a very good and heartfelt response and discussion. Whether they are 18 or 35, they like us all struggle with sin.
You made me smile with your lack of control when you see those yummy desserts:) Oh I can tell you it gets worse! From Italy to France they local food, fresh approach compared to the Starbucks food which is made in WA and shipped for days to each store... You go girl, try it all, smile when you do, know you can always do a couple more sit-ups !
We enjoyed our Tango and hope to do it again in a few weeks. In the mean time know you are Loved, Affirmed, and prayed for each day. May you continue to have the most amazing experience!!! Be safe, be Bold, be in His Care
Love you, uR
Thank you guys so much for your message! It makes me so happy that you open up your home and welcome those kids into such a warm, genuinely loving environment.
DeleteI would encourage you when you feel like maybe you aren't getting through like you wish you could, that you may very well be the first people to ever provide them with an opportunity to recognize what an incredible amount of worth each of their lives have. That alone has a huge impact on their view of the faith.
I've been keeping in touch with Jimmy (the boy I was with before you guys came to visit) while I've been here, and among other stories, he was telling me about a boy he used to go to school with, who committed suicide three days ago. I'm realizing more and more how few kids grow up in an environment that treats them as individuals of great worth or gives them any reason to push through difficult times:/ Your ministry does just that, and I will continue to pray for you in it!
The food is way too good, I am angry at the cooks here for being too good at their jobs =P
I love you guys!! Thank you for your love and prayers:)