I am going to start posting highlights rather than day outlines because the schedule is pretty steady. I like that about it, I think it's been difficult for me because I'm so used to just go go go all the time and now there's so much free time!
The extra time combined with some pretty intense lectures makes spiritual growth very quick and powerful, which is good but also difficult. Different people handle it differently, I know for me it's meant lots of mood changes and shifts between very quiet and kind of quiet, haha! The group atmosphere is tough for me to adjust to with such a flow of people all the time, but the temporary camp-like feeling is starting to wear off as we realize that we'll be here for six months rather than just several days.
As time goes on, I expect that the pressure to make friends and remember names will fade into a more genuine social atmosphere. I can see that happening more and more every day as we all relax into the new schedule and environment.
Let's see...highlights. On the eighteenth, we had a pretty lazy day. Steph and I needed to catch up online so we took advantage of free time that way. Even though each day starts out foggy and cold, and fades into sun, the nineteenth was our first fully foggy, rainy day. It created a more lazy day here, and Steph, Lia, Sarah (mentioned earlier) and a couple guys went out for a walk. The rest needed to get back earlier, but I had been having some pretty intense realizations about my life and faith and needed a little time to process, so I continued on the most beautiful hour long walk.
There are apple orchards surrounding the school, parted by small sections of forests covered in ivy, so pretty. I love the style of all the houses too, I guess there are rules on certain necessary styles throughout Germany, but the color is a free choice. You see a lot of natural, normal colors mixed in with some very vivid greens, oranges, and purples. Lots of historical places nearby, especially houses, surrounded by faded signs in German explaining their historical significance. Ivy grows up many walls.
As I walked, I was surprised by how many people I passed, taking advantage of the misty day for bike riding and running (to all you parents at home who call yourself "too old", I was surprised by how many "older" people, even in their late 60's and early 70's go on jogs as a normal part of their exercise regimen! ...not that I've run for even one minute since I've been here, so I guess I can't talk =P). Everything is so green here, and I learned yesterday that a lot of German people don't have room in their yard at home for a garden, so they will actually buy a small plot of land to plant with all kinds of flowers as well as a few vegetables and a greenhouse for orchids and other warm-weather plants (orchids are very popular here). On my walk, I passed probably fifteen of these properties and they are so wild-looking and smell so good, it makes me smile.
I felt very close to God on that walk, like I haven't for a long time. I have been convicted to pray for a renewal of my childlike spirit, and a softening of my heart. I would appreciate prayer from you for this as well :)
Even though we can't speak the language and most of the people in our area of Fischbach don't speak any English, it is fun to smile at people as they pass and get a smile in return.. reminds me of how alike everybody is even though we live in such different environments. It is interesting getting used to the new culture where waving, friendly hugs, and animated conversations like "the Americans" have, are rare among locals. We have to ask some of the German students why we get weird looks when we do certain things.
Germans are more quiet and stoic in person, but on the streets they are aggressive drivers, and very open about honking and shouting if they find a girl attractive. I was surprised at how open they are about that kind of thing. The first day we were here, we saw a man flipping through a Playboy magazine on the bus!
A lot of odd things are different here as well and a little hard to get used to... Doors open inwards. Light switches go up for off, down for on. Windows tip in from the top to open rather than sliding. Toilets flush from the front and have two buttons, one smaller, one larger. I'm sure you can guess the purpose as I did...
Apparently, Americans are pretty universally disdained here. I knew we were mildly disliked, but didn't expect quite the attitude that we have gotten several times. I was also surprised by how many have legitimate opinions on our political situation! On the bus on the way here, a big burly man asked us who we thought would win the election and was rather disgusted by our answer, rolled his eyes and said something in German to his friend next to him, followed by loud laughter, haha!
People in general are nice though...on the same bus, we met a couple boys our age who taught us how to say some things in German. Of course I forget what they taught us...all I remember is that "excuse me" sounds a lot like "enchilada". Not much help.
On the nineteenth, we separated into guys and girls and had a little private talk and prayer time. All the staff here lives either on campus or within a couple miles of the school, and are very welcoming when it comes to visitors. The girls all filed into the principal's house, which is wooden and very warm and welcoming inside, and we were told to come over anytime.
Thank you all for your prayers and encouragements as we continue this journey!
Psalm 91:4
"He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."
Hi Em
ReplyDeleteThine so enjoy your blog. Your comments bring me back to my first trip abroad at 18 :) We'll talk soon xoxo uR
I'm glad you're enjoying it! I just left you a message on Tango, hope to catch you sometime soon and talk!! Love you guys:)
Delete"thine". Not sure where that word came from... Tricky on the iPad.
ReplyDeleteHaha I didn't even notice till you pointed it out=P
Delete