A week or so ago, Brynn found a fake little Christmas tree for 5 Euros at a market she went to. We decorated it with ornaments from the dollar section in Kaufland and put a paper star on the top and now we've got the most festive room in the whole place! Every time you walk in, someone's got Christmas music on:)
Today since we were all there, we set up Amy's camera and took a classic family Christmas picture sitting around our Christmas tree. When she posts it on Facebook, I'll put it on here.
After dinner, we all went to the lecture hall for rehearsal for tomorrow's community Christmas service. It's kind of like The Crossing, only for Christmas.
After this, Steph and I had another of our awesome talks. I love that girl. I know I've said that before, but I really do, she's pretty darn awesome. Since we've been here, there's been several times when I've gotten frustrated by her for no apparent reason. That happened tonight and instead of just being grumpy and going to bed after reading the advent devotional that Smith sent us, I told her I wanted to talk about it.
How incredible of a friendship do you have with someone when you can explore with them why they get on your nerves sometimes, identify how those things reflect issues in your own life, agree to help each other work through those types of things, apologize, and end the night scaring one another joking about how the coat rack at the end of the hall looks like a serial killer, all without a single hint of awkwardness the whole time? Pretty incredible.
Steph and I have been friends since Sophomore year. She befriended a socially awkward girl whose legalistic faith was the center of her life. I befriended a fun, popular girl whose priorities were not the same as mine. After three years of close friendship, I enjoy shopping, have friends, put on makeup, am joyful and can joke, and have learned what it means to live by the rhythms of grace:) Together, we have shaped one another, balanced each other, helped, encouraged, challenged, complained, grown alongside each other. And we're both still growing with each other's help.
David and Jonathan's relationship in the Bible always made me sort of uncomfortable. In fact, when you Google "David and Jonathan", the third thing that comes up is "David and Jonathan homosexual lovers?" Haha..oh world, why not spend time fixing the problems you've already got rather than making up new ones for yourself? 1 Samuel 18:1 says that after David finished talking to Saul, directly after having killed Goliath (actually, while still holding his severed head..sort of epic..), "Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself."
That sort of friendship love has always made me sort of uncomfortable. Steph will tease me and try to hold my hand cause she knows it weirds me out =P But I'm learning how valuable this friendship and friendships like it are. Haha I'm getting all soft and emotional at Bible school! It's good though. I thank God for blessing me with this friendship.
Proverbs 17:17
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.
Proverbs 27:6
Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.
Proverbs 27:9
Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of a friend springs from their heartfelt advice.
No comments:
Post a Comment