Wednesday, November 14, 2012

11/14

Today's main goal was to order a cheesecake for Annelie's birthday on the eighteenth. It's the funniest thing, she's been pouting all week about how no one's gonna do anything for her birthday and she's gonna have to make herself a cake. We've been going along with it, I feel a little bad.. We told her that we don't even really celebrate birthdays in America, and that it's not that big a deal and stuff, poor thing!

But of course Steph and I have a ton planned. It's gonna be great, you'll hear about it in Sunday's post.

Anyways, so I went for a run during lunch, then I'm not sure if I've mentioned that we switched duties, but now I'm doing lunch dishes instead of showers. It takes more than an hour every day, but I actually really enjoy it! I work alongside a kid from Canada named James. He's a great guy, so much fun to talk to and we entertain the whole kitchen with our conversations=)

After dishes, Steph and I were planning on going to Kaufland and then meeting one of Annelie's fellow German workers, David, at Cafe Hopker to order her cake. Unfortunately, Annelie overheard us making our plans and wanted to come to Kaufland with us. So we talked with Autumn, orchestrated a foolproof plan so that Annelie would have to leave Kaufland early to meet with her, and synchronized our watches.

Annelie, Steph and I biked to Kaufland...slowly. We walked into Kaufland and shopped around the fruit section for awhile...Annelie's checking her watch. We went into the cereal aisle...read all the labels on the boxes... Annelie suggested that we buy some cereal that had a fat hippo on the front. Which I think is an excellent sign. Then the birthday girl had to leave.

Ten minutes later, Steph and I were on our bikes and headed to Cafe Hopker, where we had arranged to meet with David, one of Annelie's fellow German workers.

Now before I tell you guys what happened (and don't get too excited in the meantime cause it's not that great of a story) you have to understand something: I like being Steph's friend for many reasons. She's friendly ...energetic...has pretty hair. But one of the best things about Steph? She has no sense of direction. So she makes me feel like the most talented navigatress alive.

Anyways...so I took the back way to the cafe. Steph was following close behind. We each had a Kaufland bag in one hand and were trying to steer our bikes with the other. The sidewalks are about six inches thick. I steered into a bush in an effort to avoid falling off of my bike.

Sorry I have another interjection: one of my fears since I've been here is somehow falling off of my bike into oncoming traffic and getting run over by a truck. There have been three people who have fallen off their bikes since I've been here...which I find hilarious. I feel like I'll probably appreciate remembering that when I read this again in 40 years.

Continuing on...I decided to turn right. Up the hill. The cafe is left. I knew this. But I thought going right would get us there quicker. Steph questioned it initially, but went along with my decision based on my flawless record of perfect navigating. So we began our ascent. Have you ever tried to ride a bike up a hill with a twenty pound bag in one hand on a six inch wide sidewalk? I'm pretty sure the first person to try that invented switchbacks.

Halfway up, Steph started walking her bike. At about the same point, I was forced to acknowledge the strong possibility that we were on the wrong road. I chose not to tell Steph until she had reached the top. To our left was a set of stairs. I knew they would lead to the right road. I assumed we would need to climb up them and then ride down a sidewalk that would lead us to the right street.

I assumed wrong. I made my poor faithful best friend carry her bike and a twenty pound Kaufland bag up one set of stairs and down six to the right street.

We met David a fashionable five minutes late. You should be impressed with the following information: I remembered what kind of cake is Annelie's favorite from the first week we were here. True story. So David helped us order a cheesecake with mango jelly stuff and fruit on the top with "Happy Birthday Annelie!" written on it. I'm so excited for her to see it!!!

After lectures, we had a little room time that included Annelie and Steph. Turns out the fat hippo cereal is actually cocoa puff squares filled with Nutella. The fat hippo is fitting. But it's delicious so I'm ok with it, just this once. Plus I mean really? You're never gonna find such blatantly artery-clogging and not ashamed of it cereal in America. We don't foresee the box lasting more than a week.

Psalm 19:7
The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment