Today I spent some time with a girl named Mary from Bode who reminds me of myself a couple years ago. It's so weird how much I relate with her in different ways, and really fun for me to be able to encourage her in much the same way that Steph encouraged me at the beginning of our friendship:)
On the way back from my time with Mary, Steph just happened to be walking to the bank, so I went with her and got to talk for awhile. I've been in a thinking mood lately, actually haven't been able to sleep for the first time in my life. I'll just wake up randomly in the middle of the night and just lay there for a couple hours, just thinking about various things. I've actually kind of enjoyed it because it's like rare to get time alone and I appreciate my sleep more, haha. Anyways, so it's nice to be able to sort of debrief with Steph. Afterwards, I read from Joshua through Judges in the Bible out loud while Steph scrapbooked so we could stay caught up on our assignment.
Today is the day right in the middle of Canadian and American Thanksgiving, so we had our school-wide thanksgiving dinner. We got together in the big dining room at long K-group tables. Everyone was all dressed up and they had a huge stuffed turkey for each k-group, which I thought was really great. Afterwards, we sang some worship songs and prayed together. It was really nice and a good reminder of home:)
Psalm 119:62
At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws.
If you still can't sleep, when I was three or four I had insomnia. I'd imagine I was sitting in a giant rubber band swing and spring slowly into the earth watching the light getting smaller ande smaller. It took about three swinggs for me to drop deep into the hole and fall asleep.
ReplyDeleteAlternatively, you can find a pulse point in a wrist, inhale slowly to the beat of four heart beats, hold your breath four heart beats, then exhale for heart beats, recover four beats and do the cycle as your heart beat slows and blood pressure drops.
You can also recite "God is the most glorious." slowly 99 times. This is what I've taken to doing in the third phase of my life.
I'm so sorry you had insomnia when you were so young, that must've been awful! At the time of this post was actually the first time in my life when I haven't been able to sleep and it stopped after just a few nights. But thank you so much for your advice, I'll have to try that if it ever happens again.
Delete