Monday, November 19, 2012

11/19

Today was my day to catch up online and try and finish my Bible study project.

When Annelie got off work (she's working in the kitchen now, so her schedule's different), she came and grabbed us and we went over to her apartment with probably five other girls to eat a special cake her mom brought her yesterday.

Her mom's family is from Denmark, and I guess there's a tradition that for a girl's birthday, you make a cake shaped like a girl and for a boy's, a boy and then you have a little party and everybody screams as the birthday person cuts off the cake's head. So we did:) Haha we warned the neighbors and steph filmed us all screaming as Annelie murdered her cake.

The cake was like cinnamon bread with a chocolate chip face, frosting dress and licorice hair. We all sat around eating it and one of the women from the kitchen came down and brought some cookies she had made along with a little present for Annelie.

We find that there are certain days here that just aren't good mood days for anybody. I don't know if girls' hormones are syncing up, or we're all just tired, or the weather affects us or what, but today was one of those days. I think it was good to take a break from writing and vent a little bit on topics ranging from boys to name-meanings.

Afterwards, I figured I was getting plenty of carbs from yesterday and today combined, so I skipped dinner to take a run that I really didn't feel like taking (you know, the whole "bad day" thing), and went to lectures. After lectures, Steph, Annelie and I went up to Marj's house for a cake party instead of a cereal party, to finish off what was left of her cheesecake.

A girl named Kezia came up a little later and hung out for awhile. She's such an interesting person, haha and fun to be around. She loves to dance, taught herself how and will all of a sudden break into dance once in awhile. She's only attracted to Asian men and wants to marry an Asian cowboy. Excercises more than anybody I've ever met and has a really great testimony of not wanting to come here, being forced, hating it and all of us for the first month and then slowly realizing how good it is for her. She's growing stronger in her faith and I'm so excited to see her mature throughout this year in that way:)

We headed back to the main building just before lockup and Steph and I ended up having one of our really deep talks, which was really good. It's tough to fit those in just cause there's so much going on and so many people you want to get to know, but tonight we both needed to figure some stuff out, so we went in the little double-shower room and talked til 2am!

We're all experiencing such incredible, constant growth here. It's so good, but a lot of times it's also difficult to work through. I really am thankful to have Steph here. Since we know each other so well, we're able to help each other through stuff that probably other students end up having to work through on their own.

I think my appreciation of Steph as my best friend is something that has really grown since I've been here. That's something that we've both recognized. I want to say that I'll come home a completely changed person. I know there are a lot of students here who will. The reality is that I will come home a person who more fully recognizes just how weak I am and how strong Christ in me is.

I can see my faults much more clearly now, and because of this, have been able to begin the process of surrendering them to my Savior. I am confident of His Spirit working powerfully in my life to heal me and teach me to grow beyond those things.

But ANYWAYS...my point in starting all that up is that one of the ways I've grown is that I'm becoming a much softer person as far as friendships and emotions go, so I'm beginning to appreciate things like coffee with Steph a lot more than I used to. It's good. It makes me happy:)

Psalm 37:30
The mouths of the righteous utter wisdom, and their tongues speak what is just.

No comments:

Post a Comment