Sunday, October 28, 2012

10/28

Today I tried a Mars Bar for the first time.

Really, I don't need to say much more than that to make this post worth reading, but I will anyways cause I'm just a pretty awesome person..(btw, the Mars Bar was almond. And it was heavenly.)

I also had pancakes for the first time since I've been in Germany.

I also had a hamburger for the first time since I've been in Germany.

My mind is not centered on food at all! What are you even talking about? Stop with your disapproving glances! Don't they say a round face is more merry-looking anyways? Well I'm just going to be super merry:D Not really...but sorta. Ok new train of thought.

Today I had my third English lesson. I have a class of 25 kids, 6 of which traveled all the way up from Switzerland to be there. I'm loving spending time with all of them. Elena is really quiet, but slowly opening up and reminds me of myself a lot. Tim and Loris are hilarious and very smart. Immanuel is a quieter kind of funny and Dave's eyes are rolling more often than they're straight, but I like him. Simon is the class clown, but also smart...and there's Simone and Fara and Anna and all of them are great and so fun to work with.

It's interesting to me coming from the U.S. where it's cool to not care and not do well in school, to here where the cool kids are all very smart and know the answers. If they don't know, they want to find out. But I definitely have a new appreciation for all my teachers, haha!

During the afternoon was supposed to be Emma and my games workshop, but all of the kids chose soccer and football and we ended up with a small group of girls that we combined with the scavenger hunt workshop. It was sorta pitiful, but still fun.

Tonight was our movie night. We watched Pixar's Rio in English, and it was fun to hear all the kids' laughter when they caught one of the English jokes:)

Bonds are really started to be formed between the kids and their leaders, and I'm loving watching it happen. My roommates for the week are Elaine and Cassidy, and they have a group of girls with them all hours of the day, singing, laughing, holding hands and just loving their attention.

The guys all love Erik and his gang (I don't know if I've mentioned Simon who's become close with Annelie, but also Mitchell is great and Matt.) Many of us have nicknames. A boy named Daniel gave me the name "The Doctor" because I told them I want to be a doctor when I graduate. Mitchell they call "Botloff" or something like, which means a guy who thinks he's really cool. Haha it's all joking around, and it's fun to be able to laugh with them.

Schteffen, one of the campers, taught me that "Servos" is like "What's up?" in a certain area of Germany, so now every time I see him I say servos and he laughs with me:) He's a great kid and I got to talk to him about school a little bit and what he wants to do with his life.

Learning names has been a lot quicker for English camp than at Bode, and it's fun to see the looks on their faces when you can pass them in the halls and greet them by name, haha.


Matthew 11:25
At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.

No comments:

Post a Comment